Thursday, December 15, 2011

Walking Through Epping Forest One Day

"If I am wise I do not try to take another into that strange placeless place of my thoughts, but I lead them into the forest and lose them amongst the trees, until they find the trees within themselves, and find themselves within the trees."

Clark E. Moustakas: Creativity and Conformity 1967


Wandering endlessly through Epping Forest one day with my good friend Joanne, I was delighted to catch a glimpse of a some shadowy shapes in the distance through the trees; steathily we crept forward and watched as a group of deer soundlessly glided by, we followed in their path stalking them via hoof prints in the soft woodland ground cathing up with them twice, before they darted of in spritely fashion each time we got anywhere near them.  After about four hours of walking I was on my last dregs of energy and aching all over my body after about 6 or   miles of clambering over logs and going up and down forest ravines, but as a seasoned rambler Jo was still inclined to push on as darkness was closing in, after much moaning and persuading on my part she relunctantly gave in, and after much zigzagging about we found our way of the forest and flagged down a passing taxi to take us to the nearest Tube station which was Epping Tube a further 2 or three miles away from where we were, a distance Jo had still wanted to walk in darkness through the forest!

Tired, broken and cold we made it back to mine, via several cans of beer purchased which I needed to over come the physical and mental trauma. But those deer made the whole day of walking worthwhile...........

No comments: