Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Aesthetics of Protest



(Sitting Up A Giant Crane Covered in Anti-climbing Grease:M11 Environmental Protest;1994)



In the Summer of 1994, I left my flat where I would soon be moving out of in a few weeks to go to University; to get something to eat at the local cafe. I fell into a conversation with a group of environmental protestors who were huddled around thier bacon and eggs furtively discussing ways to protest against against the destruction of the planets' resources; I fully support looking after nature as nature is often said to be the best and first form of art. After much persuading I decided to join them on thier spontaneous sojourn to London, and several days later found myself climbing a hundred feet up in the air sitting on a giant crane in the middle of a building site protesting against the M11 ring road being built into London. The event of that day and the subsequent story that spans seven years of my life are extraordinary, miraculous, mystical, and magic.I phoned my friend at his flat to apologise for my sudden disappearance, and it was a while before I bumped into him again. Seven Years to be exact.

No comments: